It's now become a tradition that Fierce Valley Roller Girls host big events towards the end of the year, and this year is no different. After the success of previous Sur5al tournaments, FVRG are adding an additional detail this year: all teams are coed (or "open", as we believe the newly popular term is).
The 22nd of October sees this event, with a Harry Potter theme embraced by many of the teams, at Fierce Valley's usual venue of Grangemouth Sports Complex.
The advantage of Sur5al is that you can host a relatively large number of teams in a surprisingly small space of time, and the Scottish roller derby community have taken full advantage of this, with the following teams signed up to skate:
- Golden Snatches (Yellow. Captain: Dita Von Cheese [Fierce Valley Roller Girls])
- Snapes on a Plane (Blue. Captain: Thump'her [Fierce Valley Roller Girls])
- Slytherwins (Green. Captain: Fury Eyes Only [Auld Reekie Roller Girls])
- Block Street Boys (Black. Captain: Tiny Tearaway [Dundee Roller Girls])
- Neville loves Prada (Grey. Captain: Khileesi [Dundee Roller Girls])
- Why so Sirius? (Orange. Captain: Sadie O'Hades [Glasgow Roller Derby])
- Immobulud (White. Captain: Skimbleshanks [Mean City Roller Derby])
- Nameless Ones (Red. Captain: Sylk [Mean City Roller Derby])
- Snitches and Bitches (Pink. Captain: Hazzard [New Town Roller Girls])
- Magic Hot Pocket (Purple. Captain: Harm [Lothian Derby Dolls])
In total, we are told that, in addition to those teams providing captains, skaters from Bairn City Rollers, Ayrshire Roller Derby, Granite City Roller Derby, Granite City Brawlers, and Capital City Roller Derby are also represented, making this a truly inclusive event for the Scottish derby community. (Even the officials are represented, as Block Street Boys Captain Tiny Tearaway is returning to the track from her now usual Refereeing role for this event.)
Doors open at 14:45 for a prompt 15:00 start. Tickets cost £5 (+ booking fee) online from Brown Paper Tickets, or £7 on the door (under 14s free, with an adult). Harry Potter fancy dress welcome!
The event page for more up to date information and afterparty details is : https://www.facebook.com/events/1766885553525356/