As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching using a tool which scans the Facebook events of Roller Derby leagues known to Derby Listing.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts). Our new SRD Rank is out – the first for this year, and now includes Junior leagues where possible, and a lot more Latin American leagues.
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know!
Whilst three Scottish leagues are playing away this weekend, there's still derby in Scotland itself:
- On Sunday, Perth sees Fair City Rollers return to play their first public bout in several years, against first-time-bouting Helgin Roller Derby (of Elgin). [FTS][EVENT]
As will be the case for the next few months, much of the bouts in the UK are part of British Champs:
- Sunday sees Dublin, Ireland (yes, we know, but we're covering British Champs in the UK section) see the next fixtures in the Tier 3 Men's North, hosts Men Behaving Derby playing Falkirk's Bairn City Rollers' Skelpies; Teeside Skate Invaders also play Glasgow Men's Roller Derby [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
Outside of Champs:
- London sees the return of Anarchy in the UK (6), as London Rollergirls invite the top 5 WFTDA teams in Europe (Rainy City Roller Derby, Helsinki Roller Derby, Crime City Rollers, Stockholm Roller Derby and London themselves) to compete in Sanctioned bouts. [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS favours London, but there's some closely matched teams in the rest of the field...)
- Blackpool Roller Derby, after playing ARRG C last weekend, this time host Glasgow Roller Derby B down in Blackpool [FTS], as a double header withThe Northern Rogues vs North Wales ZomBs [EVENT] (FTS favours the visitors)
- Manchester Roller Derby are hosting a co-ed bout, with their "Furious Engine" against The World [EVENT]
- Manchester also sees New Wheeled Order host Wirral Pack Animals in a closed door bout [FTS] (FTS can't predict this - but SRDRank favours NWO.)
In Europe, there’s rather a lot of derby, but all concentrated in a few places...
- the French National Championships continue, with Division 2 hosted by Roller Derby Toulouse , with Castres Roller Derby, Roller Derby Tarbes, SAM Roller Derby, Toulouse B,Roller Derby Pibrac, and Roller Derby La Rochelle all competing[FTS][EVENT]
- Metz, France sees the second big French tournament in as many weekends, as Roller Derby Metz Club host Fantastic 8 - a three day tournament featuring the hosts, Croydon Roller Derby, Roller Derby Dresden, Hell's Ass Derby Girls Strasbourg, Sheffield Steel Roller Girls, Dom City Dolls, Munich Rolling Rebels, and Rotterdam Roller Derby [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS favours Croydon, Sheffield and Dresden)
- and up in northern Finland, the last bouts in this season of the Pohjola Cup are played, with hosts Oulu playing St Petersburg's White Night Furies, Jyväskylä playing Riverdale, and the White Night Furies playing Roll-On. [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Outside of the big tournaments, The Hague, Netherlands sees The Parliament of Pain host Go-Go Gent Roller Derby B (the Cubs) [FTS][EVENT] (The hosts have the advantage, according to FTS)
In Australia and New Zealand, it looks a bit quiet:
- In Albany, Western Australia, Albany Roller Derby have their only fresh meat recruitment of the year [EVENT]
- In Mount Maunganui, New Zealand, Mount Militia Derby Crew host a sponsored car wash event.[EVENT]
In Latin America... there's one very large event happening:
- From Thursday through Sunday, Buenos Aires, Argentina sees the first ever WFTDA Recognised Tournament in Latin America, as 2x4 Roller Derby presents the 5th Violentango. With fellow Latin American WFTDA leagues, Sailor City Rollers, Metropolitan Roller Derby, Gray City Rebels, Ladies of Helltown, Rock'N Roller Queens and Bogotá Bone Breakers; and nonWFTDA Buenos Aires Roller Derby (B.A.R.D.), the event will be a mix of SFC, Sanctioned and unsanctioned bouts, and include a bootcamp and a WFTDA Officiating Clinic! We have a schedule available for the event here [SCHEDULE], which also links to our other writing on it.[FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS can't predict this - SRD Rank favours Sailor City Rollers and hosts 2x4, depending on the strength of home team advantage.)
- Also: MDQueens host another "open skater intake" on Saturday.[EVENT]
Africa and Middle East
Excitingly, we get to add another section to this update, as...
- Cairo, Egypt sees the CaiRollers host their second bout ever (and their first "international") as they welcome the Marseille Bloody Skulls over to play. [FTS][EVENT]
Our semi-regular “other events” section highlights things further in the future you might want to keep an eye on.
Coming up in May, there's more Latin American Roller Derby, as Brasil's Twisted And Mixed Roller Derby returns for its 3rd edition, promoting Roller Derby development across the Brasilian leagues.
- 6 May – Twisted and Mixed https://www.facebook.com/pg/twistedandmixedrd/
Closer to home for us, Team England Roller Derby are running a "Train Like England" bootcamp, with both Blocker and Jammer specialisations on May 13th.
- 13 May - Train Like England https://www.facebook.com/events/371814833198725/permalink/391062467940628/