This is an exciting week for Scottish Roller Derby, with both Edinburgh's Auld Reekie, and Glasgow Roller Derby competing in international tournaments (ARRD in the Continental Cup in Helsinki, and GRD in the Kick Ass Cup in Hamburg). And, to add to that, this is the weekend of the annual Big Blether Scottish Roller Derby Conference, so all the leagues will be coming together there.
There's also two-day international tournaments in Sweden, the Mexican National Division 2 Championships in Léon, Sudestada Roller Derby's debut bout in Necochea, and more!
The rules are, as usual: highlights limited to 1 event per country, with an "extra" event allowed for a different kind of fixture (so, 1 tournament and 1 bootcamp), or if they involve Scottish leagues (since we are the Scottish Roller Derby Blog). Other notability might also allow the extra event - great posters, notable teams, etc. (League birthdays may count as "special" enough, at our discretion ;) )
We've bent the rules a bit this time, because it's important to highlight derby in regions which need more attention, and because it's quiet enough that we have the space.
In a bid to make this list as useful as possible, we've avoided links to Facebook except where noted. (Links to Teams are to non-Facebook resources - Instagram, or actual team pages - we'd strongly recommend that Teams get themselves an actual webpage [we can help host one if you need help]).
Locations are roughly organised East-West (with things before the weekend out sequence at the start).
Sat: Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland Roller Derby League host a double header event, featuring teams from across New Zealand, to close their season. The first game sees ARDL's development team play their opposite numbers from Hamilton, whilst the second bout sees Team Crazylegs Aotearoa take on Pirate City.
- Sparks (Auckland "development") versus Bat City (Hamilton)
- Pirate City Rollers (Auckland) versus Team Crazylegs Aotearoa (team representing skaters with mental or otherwise invisible illnesses)
Event starts: 1715 Saturday (doors open)
Venue: ActivZone Indoor Sports Arena, Downing Street, Auckland, New Zealand
Sat-Mon: Mt Warren Park, QLD, Australia
Queensland Roller Derby Leagues host the 2019 edition of the Tropicarnage Cup, a typically huge Australian derby tournament, with two divisions playing over 3 days. Division 1 plays as two placement groups, with the winners of each group playing for the championship.
- Brisbane City Rollers - Punk Blockers
- Coastal Assassins Roller Derby - Assassins (Sydney, NSW)
- Convict City Rollers - Orange Thunder (North Hobart, TAS )
- Northside Rollers - Death Stars (Melbourne, VIC)
- Sydney Roller Derby League - Assassins
- Sun State Roller Derby - Swarm (Brisbane)
- Varsity Derby League - DisHonour Rollers (Canberra, ACT)
- Victorian Roller Derby League - VICs (Preston, VIC)
- East Coast Derby Dolls (Gold Coast, QLD)
- Inner West Roller Derby League - SkateCrashers (Sydney, NSW)
- Northern Brisbane Rollers - Team Phoenix
- Tweed Valley Rollers - Valley Vixens
Event starts: 0815 Saturday
Venue: Mt Warren Sports Centre, 2 Milne Street, Mount Warren Park, QLD, Australia
Fri: Badung, Bali, Indonesia
HOT LAVA Rollers are raising consciousness, and funds, ahead of their Bootcamp with Baller Shot-Caller on the 12th, with a bit of a party: a Karaoke Roller Disco, with a "Back to the 80s" theme.
Event starts: 1900 Friday
Venue: Plus Bar Bali, North Kuta, Badung Regency, Bali, Indonesia
Sat-Sun: Helsinki, Finland
This is a standard 8 team single elimination bracket, with consolation-style "placement" games for losers.
- First games ("quarter final"):
- Dublin Roller Derby versus Antwerp Roller Derby
- Perth Roller Derby (Perth, WA, Australia) versus Auld Reekie Roller Derby
- Central City Roller Derby (Birmingham) versus Kallio Rolling Rainbow (Helsinki)
- Tiger Bay Brawlers (Cardiff) versus Dock City Rollers
Event starts: 0800 Saturday (doors open)
Venue: Urheiluhallit Pasila (Pasilan Urheiluhalli), Radiokatu 22, Helsinki, Finland
Sun: Udine, Italy
The Banshees of Roller Derby Udine are present at the 4th birthday party for their sponsor, blud , with a demonstration of the sport. This event is an all day programme, hosting all of the various endeavours which blud sponsor or promote.
Event starts: 1000 Sunday
Venue: Backyardie, Via Pier Paolo Pasolini n.8 Int. 12, Pradamano, Italy
Sat-Sun: Norrköping, Sweden
Norrköping Roller Derby host an "international bout weekend", a an almost 4-teams round robin over 2 days (similar to the Kick Ass Cup, below). Norrköping will be providing a livestream via Facebook Live.
- Teams competing:
- Dirty River Roller Derby (Turku)
- Norrköping Roller Derby
- BSTRDS (Stockholm B) [2 games, Sat]
- The Royal Army (Royal Army | Stockholm) [2 games, Sun]
- Oxford Roller Derby
Event starts: 1100 Saturday
Venue: Stadium Arena, Utställningsvägen 11, Norrköping, Sweden
Sat-Sun: Hamburg, Germany
St. Pauli Roller Derby host the 2019 edition of their annual international (the Incredible) Kick Ass Cup. As with last year, this is a 4 teams round robin over 2 days (for 3 games per day), with competitors from across the European continent.
- Teams competing:
- Namur Roller Girls
- Ingles de Acero (Barcelona)
- Irn Bruisers (Glasgow)
- St. Pauli Roller Derby (Hamburg)
Event starts: 1000 Saturday (doors open)
Venue: Gymnasium Christianeum, Hamburg, Germany
Sat-Sun: Bern, Switzerland
The Rolling Furies are celebrating their 5th birthday, with a whole-weekend event. There's not much public detail about their plans, but we know that there's a dinner on the Saturday evening, and promises of "games, food, music, beers, cocktails, sleepover(s), and breakfast". We also have confirmation from Genève Roller Derby United that they'll be playing Lausanne B, presumably as part of this.
- Genève Roller Derby United versus Rolling Furies B (Lausanne B)
Event starts: 0900 Saturday
Venue: Alte Staatsstrasse 2, Wimmis, Bern, Switzerland
Sat: Perth, Scotland
Fair City Rollers host the 2019 edition of the Scottish Roller Derby Community Conference, Big Blether. This is the annual "in person" meeting of the Scottish Community, with delegates welcome from all leagues, and topics of discussion decided by the community itself. (Quarterly "Wee Blethers" are held by videoconference to keep in touch without the need for travel.)
Event starts: 0930 Saturday (signup)
Venue: Dewars Centre, Glover Street, Perth, Scotland
Sun: Livingston, Scotland
New Town Roller Derby host another edition of their Open To All genders open-access Learning Scrims. Open to skaters of all levels, but aimed at newly passed and C level skaters. Referees and NSOs also welcome, of course.
Event starts: 1500 Sunday
Venue: xCite Craigswood, Craigswood, Livingston, Scotland
Sun: Penzance, UK
Cornwall Roller Derby host the 4th (and penultimate) fixture in 2019's South West Season, a triple-header event as always. The South West Season is a tournament series helping to drive roller derby in the South West of England, open to A and B teams.
- Kings of Block n Roll ( ) versus Portsmouth Roller Wenches
- North Devon Roller Derby B versus Dorset Roller Girls B
- Cornwall Roller Derby versus Bath Roller Derby B
Event starts: 1120 Sunday (first whistle)
Venue: Penzance Leisure Centre, St Clare, Penzance, Cornwall, UK
Sat: Montevideo, Uruguay
Tempestad Roller Derby host a last-minute-announced event, including a public roller derby bout with participants from all three leagues in Montevideo (Pajaros Pintados, Tempestad and Cesope, in order of formation). This is intended to raise the profile of Roller Derby in Uruguay, and also develop their level towards Tempestad competing in this year's Piratas del Asfalto tournament (Sailor City Rollers' annual end of year event).
Event starts: 1900 Saturday
Venue: Cuadrado del Parque Rodó, Montevideo, Uruguay
Sun: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Alianza Rebelde are celebrating their 8th anniversary with a special double-header event. Most details are still in planning, but this is what we know so far. Those interested might get more details closer to the event from our friends at 5 Segundos.
- Kamikazes Roller Derby versus Chat Noir Roller Derby
- Alianza Rebelde versus ??
Event starts: 1330 (doors open) 1415 (first whistle) Sunday
Venue: Club Estrella del Sur, Calle 135 E/ 69 y 70, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sat: Necochea, Argentina
Sudestada Roller Derby host the second edition of Derby-Dosis, a double-header event for all. This is also the first bout for Sudestada's travel team roster. This history-making bout is followed by an open-subscription friendly / scrimmage.
- Sudestada Roller Derby (Necochea) versus Atlántico Sur Roller Derby (Miramar)
- Open subscription friendly bout
Event starts: 1700 Saturday
Venue: Sum Escuela Técnica N 3 // 73 y 36, Necochea, Argentina
Sat-Sun: León, Guanajauto, Mexico
Felinas Roller Derby host the 2019 Mexican National Division 2 finals, deciding the best team in the lower division of the AMRD competitive rankings. As we wrote in our intro to the Mexican 2019 Season , this is a much harder event to call than the D1, as ratings are closer for the D2 teams. In addition, there's a change to the predicted competitors, as León's Freyjas are competing.
The event runs as a double-elimination tournament, and will be streamed, as with all high-level Mexican derby events, by Derby Wife (link to Facebook).
- First bouts of the tournament
- Vipers Roller Derby (Tijuana) versus Division del Norte (Chihuahua)
- Tamaulipas Roller Derby(Tampico) versus Roller Derby Freyjas (León)
- Reinas Rojas (Cancùn) versus winner of Tamaulipas/Freyjas game.
Event starts: 0900 Saturday (first whistle)
Venue: Mulza Outlet (parking lot), Blvd. Aeropuerto 843, Predio Santa Anita, León, Gto., Mexico
Also of interest, due to their attendees:
Fri-Sun: Denver, CO, USA
Denver Roller Derby host this year's B Team Champs - the event for international B teams to decide who is the strongest. Last year, Victorian Roller Derby Bees won for Australia, and their attendance here to attempt to retain the title is why this is listed on our highlights.
- Teams attending:
- Victorian Roller Derby League Bees (Preston, VIC, Australia)
- Angel City Derby Girls Rocket Queens (Los Angeles, CA)
- Arch Rival Roller Derby Arch Nemesis (St Louis, MI)
- Montreal Roller Derby Lex Sexpos
- Rose City Rollers Axels of Annihilation (Portland, OR)
- Gotham Girls Roller Derby Wall Street Traitors (New York, NY)
- Texas Rollergirls Texas Chainsaws
- Windy City Rollers Second Wind (Chicago, IL)
- Denver Roller Derby Bruising Altitude
- Detroit Roller Derby All Stars B
Event starts: 1400 Friday
Venue: The Rollerdome, 2375 S. Delaware, Denver, CO, USA